Black Cloud Stormchasers Network

Discussion
  • Putting Clear Coat on Decoys

Well fellas, its time to get the decoys out from last year, check them for holes and cull the ones that aren't gonna make it on open day this year. My question is, have any of you ever sprayed a clear coat on your decoys to make them shine. I have noticed in the past that ducks on the water tend to have a shine to them. It is just a thought I have been thinking about this summer, and need to know some tips on doing this. Gettin Fired up about this big duck season!

• Profile Image
    • By Fowled_Up
    • Beginner
    • 5 years ago
    • 5 Posts
      • Fowled_Up's stats:
      • Beginner
      • 629points
Recent Replies
  • Re: Putting Clear Coat on Decoys

I put a little armerall on the top of mine.

i hear what you're saying but i was always told that shine is bad.

I spray all mine with Krylon 1311 clear matte (Walmart for $2.00), really does a nice job and protects the dekes from paint chipping.

• Profile Image
    • By esudac
    • Beginner
    • 5 years ago
    • 5 Posts
      • esudac's stats:
      • Beginner
      • 565points

I have always though that a shine was bad also. just like the shine from glasses or faces. i have heard of UV paint... maybe you should try it out. worse case... all you birds will come my way!

Krlyon matte clear works good also I have read an article that said put vaseline on them to resore the look because live birds do have an oil on there feathers that does shine.

• Profile Image
    • By goosegrinder
    • Beginner
    • 5 years ago
    • 15 Posts
      • goosegrinder's stats:
      • Beginner
      • 710points

well when you buy new decoys they have a shine to them so i couldnt hurt

• Profile Image
    • By modlite2
    • Beginner
    • 5 years ago
    • 6 Posts
      • modlite2's stats:
      • Beginner
      • 789points
      • Male
      • Kansas
  • clear coat decoys

Hey guys:

I own a decoy company in minnesota. After we paint the decoys we use a material spray called Krylon Matte finish, it has a bit of the shine but isnt over powering, It also protects the paint, it sells for about 4.00 a can you can purchase it in any local hardware or walmart store. Make Sure it is the Matte finish

• Profile Image
    • By gunningwings
    • Expert
    • 5 years ago
    • 18 Posts
      • gunningwings's stats:
      • Expert
      • 4537points
      • Yahoo: gunningwings's Yahoo
      • AIM: gunningwings's AIM
  • Putting Clear Coat on Decoys

I have never put anything on my decoys to make them shine and I haven't noticed any problems getting birds to decoy in. Just remember that anything you put on the decoys sits out there on the water, so please make sure that it is not toxic to the birds that will use the area later.

Hunt safe!

• Profile Image
    • By 4IZE
    • Beginner
    • 5 years ago
    • 2 Posts
      • 4IZE's stats:
      • Beginner
      • 365points
  • putting clear coat on decoys

You are absolutely right! make suer that the paint and the finish is NOT coming off the decoys, if it is flaking sand all the finish off and then repaint, be sure that this is your first priority...that is to not pollute the water, we have enough crazy people on the water doing that now. good hunting also and be safe!

• Profile Image
    • By gunningwings
    • Expert
    • 5 years ago
    • 18 Posts
      • gunningwings's stats:
      • Expert
      • 4537points

i'm gonna try the matte finish on a few of my ghg hot buy standards.  they  are already chipping just from putting them in or out of the bag.

best thing you can do for those hunting around you is clear coat your decoys, if oyu are hunting on the same water as me I will supply you with clear coat and a nice piece of mirror you can glue to the backs of your dekes, it will really help me.

cull decoys that won't make it this year??

make them shiny?

this your first day?

my god the youngsters of today should jsut stay on the internet and play computer games, no wonder my country is so frigged up, the next generation are all morons.

• Profile Image
    • By dryswamp
    • 5 years ago
    • 5 Posts
      • dryswamp's stats:
      • 320points

on decoys i've made myself,after burlaping and painting,i've always used the clear matte spray on them.i've never had a problem decoying in birds with them.the guys talking about the hot buys,maybe just do the heads since that's where the paint flaking is taking place.just an idea.

Splash water on your decoys, that will give it a "realistic" look without adding anything that makes them shiny or glossy. Putting clearcoat on your decoys is asking the ducks to flare. It's the same reasony you don't stare at the ducks as they are coming in or passing over,

If you're not a big fan of splashing water on them, you could always pay my wife to paint them for you, and no she doesn't use gloss.Laughing

Migrator- Not all mallard drakes have that bright green head, my father in law *who is from Dryswamps generation* and I actually chip the green paint off some of our decoys and we do well just like that.

Dryswamp, refrain from calling youngsters idiots. It's the douchebags like you that are going to ruin the sport for the rest. Come sit in my blind and I'll show you how to hunt.

Edited by hellraiser724, 5 years ago

• Profile Image
    • By hellraiser724
    • Intermediate
    • 5 years ago
    • 17 Posts
      • hellraiser724's stats:
      • Intermediate
      • 1020points
  • DRYSWAMP

I've got your moron. E-mail me so I can give you my address, so you can send the clear coat my way. People like you are the reason some people don't duck hunt. Also, people like you don't have a clue what it takes to be a good duck hunter, hell you probably don't even hunt, you just look a forums, eating ding-dongs, and seeing what you can say to PI#$ people off. If you can't refrain from calling people morons, that have a question, I suggest staying off the computer. Heck, it may do you some good to get outside, exercise, and stop eating DING-DONGS, those things will kill you.

• Profile Image
    • By Fowled_Up
    • Beginner
    • 5 years ago
    • 5 Posts
      • Fowled_Up's stats:
      • Beginner
      • 629points
  • I didn't realize 39 was old school

Wash them, make sure cords and anchors are in good shape, wrap cords around each individual decoy.  Put in bag, go hunting not going to a Duck Show Fellas they DO NOT need to shine.  They need to float, sit with the keel in the water, stay in pretty much the same few feet as you set them and look like a duck.  Never ever have I had a problem decoying birds with the same decoys I have had for 12 years.  My call gets their attention and the decoys plus my calling gets them to land.  It's really not rocket science gentlemen it's duck hunting.  Heck they where using wood carved decoys and cork carved decoys before plastic bodied sticker feather birds where invented.

• Profile Image
    • By ChrisAnderson
    • Advanced
    • 5 years ago
    • 37 Posts
      • ChrisAnderson's stats:
      • Advanced
      • 1551points
  • Re: Clear coat

I would have to say that I have been hunting for many years now and I have never had a problem getting them to decoy!!  I may put a lil touch up paint from time to time over the years.  As for the clear coat I don't know if that would hinder or help you in bringing them in but to each his own!!  What works for one of us in a part of this great country may not work for another!!  That is why hunting is hunting!!  I wish everyone the best this year!!

• Profile Image
    • By Ohiovalleyducksmacker
    • Beginner
    • 5 years ago
    • 25 Posts
      • Ohiovalleyducksmacker's stats:
      • Beginner
      • 725points
  • Clear coat decoys

Leave for a great weekend killin ducks and the kids are playing again.

Dry swamp  Whoah boy take it easy, why such unruly attitude

The guy just asked about clear coating decoys thats all not a nuclear warhead...you need to relax that what these forums are about   conversation...

the shiny part is true of all ducks they due have an irredescent color about them..but not shiny  clear coat will hold the paint but the shiny part isnt necessary.

• Profile Image
    • By gunningwings
    • Expert
    • 5 years ago
    • 18 Posts
      • gunningwings's stats:
      • Expert
      • 4537points

Terms of Service

mock rpx login link