Black Cloud Stormchasers Network

Discussion
  • Old Remington 870, Steel Shot OK?

I have a Remington 870 Wing Master and I hunt ducks with it. It only holds 2 3/4in. shot and I'm not sure if the barrell is made for steel. Do you think it is ok to shoot steel for ducks or do you think I need to buy a newer gun?

• Profile Image
    • By Birddog
    • Beginner
    • 5 years ago
    • 1 Post
      • Birddog's stats:
      • Beginner
      • 350points
Recent Replies
  • Re: Old Remington 870, Steel Shot OK?

Bismuth or hevi shot may be a better option! but with the price of those shells you could just buy a new 870 or nova for under 350. Plus it gives you an excuse to buy a new guy!!!!!

• Profile Image
    • By Cowboygunsmith45
    • Intermediate
    • 5 years ago
    • 3 Posts
      • Cowboygunsmith45's stats:
      • Intermediate
      • 885points
  • Old Remington 870, Steel Shot OK?

I used that set-up for several years. I never noticed any damage to the barrel. But, I like gunsmith's answer. Get a new gun. If your budget allows go to atleast a 3". You will be amazed at the added range. Especially if you go to 3-1/2". Plus I had to clean that Remington every time I used it. My new Browning BPS 3-1/2" requires much less care.

• Profile Image
    • By Sooner13
    • Beginner
    • 5 years ago
    • 1 Post
      • Sooner13's stats:
      • Beginner
      • 385points

those guys are both right. I also have an old wingmaster from the 60s that I have shot steel through but I decided it was just a better idea to get a new gun. Now I use an 870 express super mag that holds the 3 1/2 inchers and I love it. It only cost me $300 brand new at Gander mountain but I think regular retail is 400 something

Edited by Red_Devil, 5 years ago

we have guided hunters full time for over 30 years before retiring in 2005 and we never shot anything larger than a 2 3/4" shell, a duck at 20 to 30 yards wings cupped is going to come down if you are on it.

If you can't shoot worth crap then you'll find the more pellets in a 3" or 3.5" shell or 10 gauge a help, but I expect you can shoot fine and therefore don't need hte gimmicks and bigger shot loads.

that 870 is fine for steel, it will perform very well, keep in mind many of us have been shooting steel since the early 1970's, many locations had already switched to steel by the mid 70's and we never changed out 870s as they can take it, provided oyu dont have  atrap or full choke

• Profile Image
    • By dryswamp
    • 5 years ago
    • 5 Posts
      • dryswamp's stats:
      • 320points
  • Old remington 870,steel shot ok?

I have a wingmaster that was my Grandfathers and have shot probably 600 rounds of steel through it and it is fine.

• Profile Image
    • By duckslayer
    • Intermediate
    • 5 years ago
    • 21 Posts
      • duckslayer's stats:
      • Intermediate
      • 930points
  • 870 w/steel shot

I have had my Remington 870 Wingmaster for 32 years and have never had a problem w/steel shot through it. The only problem that I just started to see this year is that it is getting difficult to purchase 2-3/4 steel shot in anything less than  4 shot. Winchester is about the only one that offers larger shot size. If Goose hunting is in your future, you may want to look into a 870 Super Mag. I own both and I still use the Wingmaster for all my Deer hunting. The Wingmaster is a great gun and steel shot won't harm it.

• Profile Image
    • By StinkyCB
    • Expert
    • 5 years ago
    • 41 Posts
      • StinkyCB's stats:
      • Expert
      • 4126points
  • Old 870

I asked the Remington guys the same thing.  I have a 16ga made in '56 and they say it's OK with steel, nuf said.  I would NOT use one with a FULL choke/with steel.  It is safe, but if you can get a new gun go for it!

Terms of Service

mock rpx login link